Grachael's Fun KL - Legoland Trip

Sunday 14 April 2013

Too Busy For Blogging

The Public Speaking Committee. Sofea Hana on the stage to receive her certificate of participation. As the organiser of the LMS District Level Public Speaking Competition I am glad to say that it had been successfully conducted. Thanks to the working committee, judges and participants for their co-operation. Sofea Hana presented her speech, "The Importance of Protecting Nature" confidently. Am proud of her. She's indeed an excellent pupil and has a great future ahead. I am glad that the Public Speaking Competition was smoothly run . I've made sure that all was well taken of. The rightful winner was announced as the champ and will be representing the LMS district next month. Thanks to the co-operation from my team members. I was surprised as my HM, En Shahidan presented me the token of appreciation, the one I presented to him on behalf of the committee. Thank you and I am glad to know that all my efforts are appreciated especially by the staff and pupils of SK Bendang Siam. More needs to be done to improve the standard of English here. My pupils , Sofea Hana was the Public Speaking Champ and Hana Nawi was the runner- up in Story-Telling Competition. They did the school proud and SK Bendang Siam became the overall champ in the English Carnival in Trong this year. 6 April,2013- I presented a token of appreciation to my headmaster, En Shahidan who is the Chairman of the Trong Zone English Panel. Red Crescent Disaster Relief Course conducted by RC Trainer , Mr Murugan Subramaniam for ADTEC VAD ( PBS - Pasukan Bantuan Sukarela) new members and lecturers at the SEDIM ECO Park in Kulim at the end of March this year. I am glad I had helped as a facilitator and it was indeed a great experience. It's been quite a while since I've updated my personal blog. Guess, if a blog is not updated, it's better not to have one. After the Chinese New Year, I was busy with school work and then started with my duties as the new Secretary of the Trong English Panel. Then, I was busy contacting the English Language teachers in the Trong Zone through their heads of schools. Thanks to emails too. The working committee was formed by the Trong Zone English Panel for Primary Schools. Information of the English Carnival at the zone and district level was conveyed to them. I guessed due to time constrain, schools over here were unprepared to participate in the Action Song and Choral Speaking competitions but I hope there will be better response in future. I personally felt the great challenge in training both the team events and gave up the idea. These are the shy kids who haven't been exposed to such competitions before. In SK Selama, we had been seasoned year after year till we reached our best achievement last year in Choral Speaking when we emerged as the runner - up in the LMS district. However, I've been transferred to SK Bendang Siam since a year ago. Then , over in this small school we used to face problems because our late English teacher was on a long medical leave before he passed away during the time when I was attending my intensive course. Then , another English teacher was to deliver at anytime then. Though,we had a lovely temporary English teacher , her service was terminated and that explained a few of the reasons why I could not train the two team events. We need sufficient creative and talented teachers who are willing to sacrifice their precious time and effortin this extra work. With all the filing and documentation many teachers could hardly find the time. It is not that easy too when I compare with schools which are loaded with lots of money after winning an NKRA award. Just imagine what money can do, one a thousand or two but hundreds of thousand for a school in the same district. When in my zone we have to do with a meager amount. Rich schools could even engage a professional music teacher etc. and their kids could even adorn all those expensively sewn costumes. Yes, we need man power and poorer schools are a big gap away. Yes, teachers and pupils in rural areas need more motivation than this. There as you see the twinkling eyes of these poor students we think of their potential. We teachers need to be motivated but any we need sufficient money especially for all English Panels in each zone to carry out interesting projects, workshops etc . But, when do I have a chance to tell the Education Ministry, it is too much to to just concentrate on cluster schools when the poorer schools are suffering due to lack of funds . I hope there will be equal treatment and do away with the monetary awards but instead see to the weaknesses and lack of motivation among rural schools. However, after thorough training with my two dear participants; Sofea Hana for Public Speaking Competition and Hana Nawi for the Story-Telling Competition,the efforts proved worthwhile. They won as the Champ and Runner- Up in the respective events at the Trong Zone level and represented the zone at the district level on the 13 April, 2013. Though both of them did not win the top prizes, they performed their best. I witnessed Sofea and she did us proud too in the impromptu speech wen she talked about what she would do if she became famous. She was one of the best speakers and her strong vocabulary is due to herself being an avid reader. As for Hana Nawi, she did just as well with good pronunciation and expression. Anyway, this is a good start for my school, SK Bendang Siam. I was glad to see the teachers and pupils from my previous school, SK Selama. It brought back fond memories as every year, I would be busily involved in preparing for the participation of the school. Especially, in script writing to training etc. Being the organiser of the English Carnival for the Trong Zone and the Public Speaking Competition at the district level , I was indeed busy. Furthermore, I was in charge of the prizes and certificates too. Thanks to all my committee members who had diligently helped me . It is the experience whether bad or good which makes us much wiser. Next year, we'll see much improvement and earlier preparation. Well, now with Red Crescent Society district committee, I am requested to help in some secretarial tasks and I'll do so with responsibility. Then, there is the State level English Carnival to prepare as LMS district is the host and I am in the committee. Will be busy preparing for my first year final exam which is in June too. So , guess I have to take everything as it comes calmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment